Scientifically known as Salvia hispanica, chia seeds are considered to be one of the few superfoods nature has bestowed us with. Originating in Mexico, and dating back to the Mayan and Aztec cultures, these seeds are known for their richness in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, antioxidants, and calcium. They also act as a natural laxative.
Why Are Chia Seeds Good For You?
Chia seeds are a member of the mint family, and, as we already discussed, have gained immense popularity in the recent years. So much that food companies are fortifying cereals, breads, bars, puddings, and chia seed drink.
- Firstly, it is the omega-3 fatty acids. Consuming chia seeds is probably the easiest way to intake these healthy fatty acids. Yes, we have flaxseeds or salmon that are good sources of omega-3, but it’s all about the ease of intaking. You don’t have to grind or cook the chia seeds. Also, one serving of chia seeds contains 5 grams of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Secondly, it’s the soluble fiber. Simply get the chia seeds a little wet, and you will see them turning into a gel – which is the soluble fiber. The benefits of soluble fiber are many – it helps manage blood sugar, feeds the gut-friendly bacteria, and even bulks up the stool. A single serving of chia seeds meets almost a third of your daily fiber requirement.
- If you have bone issues, you can swear by chia seeds. A high content of calcium, phosphorous, and manganese make them good for the bones.
Chia Seeds Benefits
- Stimulate Weight Loss
- Rich In Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Prevent Constipation
- Regulate Blood Sugar Levels And Help Prevent Diabetes
- Help Lower Cholesterol
- Improve Cardiovascular Health
- Boost Energy And Metabolism
- Can Be Used As A Workout Drink
- Packed With Protein
- Enhance Mood
- Rich In Antioxidants
- Good For Bones And Teeth
- Can Improve Skin Health
- Can Treat Dyslipidemia
- Help Treat Diverticulosis
- Can Be Used As A Substitute For Eggs
- Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Are Gluten-Free
- Rich In Manganese
- Rich In Magnesium
- Improve Sleep